AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Landlord ? What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

AVP_Matt
Posted 11/18/2017 10:14 (#6372867)
Subject: Landlord ? What would you do?

Hennepin, IL
Have a small piece we rented last year to put corn on. Had been hay for a decade and I don't believe had ever seen fertilizer. Soil test confirmed that, had P readings at 10 lb/acre, K readings under 100, pH was good however. Last year corn was terrible, but rented it as a favor since we'd done custom baling for them all along. Piece was sold last winter to a very nice guy with a farm background, so he understands what's going on. Rented it this spring with the intention to leave him a little crop standing and if the corn was decent, work out either a rent or spend that money on the fertilizer the place desperately needs. Corn ended up doing 200 bu which was a gift for this farm. I'd personally figure about a 140 aph, and in the right year could be disappointed.

Fast forward, he's wanting a check now, not a big deal, but I pitched the idea of doing a 1/3 rent, half paid to him, half paid in the form of added fertilizer on top of what we removed. The idea being that we could take the gift we got this year and set ourselves up for success down the road. He now just wants a check for the full 1/3. I know this farm won't support that rent every year, so how would you guys handle this? Clearly we'll need to cut the check for this year's rent, but I guess how would you move forward? TIA.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)