AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Landlord ? What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/18/2017 10:58 (#6372962 - in reply to #6372930)
Subject: RE: Landlord ? What would you do?

southern MN
Yup, I 'rent' 5 acres surrounded by trees irregular shape 2 fields (my planter tractor got hot the hydraulics were working so hard planting the odd shapes...) so maybe 3 good acres out of it, of which the deer take another 1/2 acre. Then a hunter fella wants me to leave a 1/4 acre stand for his 6 deer stands in the trees surrounding..... a person just wonders why bother...

Like you, I had a good year or two out of the first 3, the beans we planted that first early July way outyielded what I planted on the real farm in a timely manner; and then the following year corn had some of the tallest corn I've ever seen with huge ears in a one acre area - even family sees that and says hey we have something good here we should be making something too.... never mind the three weeks I spent getting branches picked up, stumps leveled, debris picked up, extra spraying for the heavy weeds, and they don't notice the 12 rows around that have nubbins from the trees or what $$$ I put into those worthless rows.....

I hear you on it, very hard to make those tree lined areas pay off, I was doing it for family to get some nasty weed issues down, with the distance I barely break even if I pay nothing.

Soil is good so I don't have the fertility issue, was a cattle/hog yard area most tests off the scale in p and k and micros so I have that much going for me.

Some folks consider a 'small' field 60 acres so we weren't sure what you were starting with. :)

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)