AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm ground in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 7/21/2017 22:17 (#6141283 - in reply to #6139844)
Subject: RE: Farm ground in Iowa

IowaCenturyFarm - 7/21/2017 08:56 Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not familiar with those particular soils, maybe I would be by name instead of the classification number.

I made a mistake typing the soil type number, its "541C" "Esterville Salida Complex, 5-9% slope" 

The CSR number was originally "5", now its "24".   That's only one example of many.

Lots of people think all of Iowa is good corn growing ground.   We have yield maps that indicate that the original CSR of 5 was generous on that particular soil type, it usually yields a whopping 0.    It gets farmed because its odd shaped, not a great deal of acres and would take more effort to not farm it and keep the weeds down.

I'm not surprised that you're not familiar with it, the guy that was sitting behind a desk when he assigned asinine CSR2 numbers to all of the crappy ground around here isn't familiar with it either.   This kind of ground does NOT care about "yearly rainfall", it cares about weekly rainfall.   It could rain 5 inches tonight and that ground would be back to burning up in a week.

They probably should have put some boots on the ground in August/Sept in actual corn fields before raising the property taxes 2x on some pieces of ground.

Like I said, that is my axe.    The original numbers were not broken.     "If its not broke don't fix it."     Everyone that has money to buy ground knew what the previous numbers represented.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)