AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm ground in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

case94
Posted 7/21/2017 00:40 (#6139498 - in reply to #6138839)
Subject: RE: Farm ground in Iowa

Tabor MN aka God's Country
trebfms - 7/20/2017 18:11

I thought that the Red River Valley  of the North had the richest soils in US. But the problem there is the climate is not as good as farther south.

. There is some awesome dirt here in the RRV, but to say it's all the best in the USA is a big stretch. There's some stuff here that can bring the anyone to their knees. Gumbo that's so sticky when wet you can't work with it and when it's dry is hard as concrete. Managed right can be decently productive dirt. High salts, high pH, some areas of alkali where nothing but kochia will grow. Drainage is more important than anything, (like alot of places I know) but here it is an absolute necessity. Overall it's pretty phenomenal dirt, as a matter of fact there are some areas we call no fault farming where you literally can't screw it up. I always say we have the best drought land in the world. Not necessarily the best dirt in the world. I've seen the crops you southern mn and Iowa guys and gals have year in and year out, you are truly blessed with what you have for the most part.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)