AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming in 2017. Young family. I'm surely not the only one stressed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jalopy
Posted 6/28/2017 12:56 (#6094395 - in reply to #6090802)
Subject: RE: Farming in 2017. Young family. I'm surely not the only one stressed.

NC IA
Yes I'm in your shoes as well. I married later than most and now consider myself middle aged with 3 little boys 5 & under. I don't get to spend enough time with them. Always something to do, either farming wise or business wise (I have a full time I guess you'd call it "vintage" equipment repair business). I have scrap iron for an equipment lineup. Same as you, a couple years ago I pieced together a sprayer for $1000 to try to make this crop farming work in the days of post $7 corn. (I don't remember $7 corn, I must have been chasing women. Seems like I heard someone say it got to $8?)

Yes life seems very stressful, mostly in the the financial dept. Seems like it takes a perfect year every year just to stay afloat. Planting dates, spray/sidedress timing, etc seem like can make or break you anymore. Not to mention staying on top of all the bookkeeping. And luck (or lack thereof) I guess.

I quit speaking to a good friend years ago when just prior to me getting married he told me that my marriage wouldn't work out because my new bride wasn't going to have a town job and that this isn't the 1950's anymore. Makes me work all the harder. I wouldn't trade my wife staying at home raising our boys for anything.

Getting ready to head out on our annual summer camping vacation for a week or two. Even then I find it hard to relax with all the worry constantly going through my head. That's what I wish I could change- the consuming worry, I wish I could leave that at home.

But my family is all healthy, my crops look good, and no body's hungry. We have alot to be thankful for.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)