AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming in 2017. Young family. I'm surely not the only one stressed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dairyman78
Posted 6/28/2017 07:19 (#6093822 - in reply to #6093158)
Subject: RE: There also is stress on the old

S.C. Wisconsin
redoak - 6/27/2017 20:32

dairyman78 - 6/27/2017 08:32

We have worked hard all of our life to build a nest of eggs and now the return on our equity downright sucks. It makes a person wonder of if a person should move your equity to another place away from production ag. I hate to say this but it's reality.

Dave , just a bit younger than you with a Son farming also and it scares me the capital/operating money it costs to run a farm---Sometimes it really makes you wonder.......on another note there was some posts lately about Fair Oaks Dairy Farm in Indiana---thousands of cows/pigs/chickens,ect. looks/sounds impressive but will that be the end of "family farms".......looks like today you need to either be be big,constantly expanding or operate debt free on a smaller scale with out labor.......Creek Farms--farming or any small business is always a challenge, can be very rewarding or very tiring........Really need too put most profits back into farm/business ....happiness/success is ending the yr. with bills paid and a dollar left....misery is ending yr. and still a dollar short---good luck--keep mentally & physically healthy
m Thanks for your post, I was having the same struggle when I started farming in the 80s'. But when interest rates came down I was able to expand our dairy herd giving me more badly needed income and was able to pay off the farm and giving my parents a decent retirement. But these days that option is very risky as you could lose your market for your product, plus the cost of expansion are so high these days that it's out of wack in comparison to what we receive for our product making it a bad return on your investment. Hopefully things will change, and hope the industry isn't dominated by only huge players and investment conglomerates.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)