AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Product Savings Revisited
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

sakeller
Posted 8/2/2008 13:02 (#426968 - in reply to #426889)
Subject: Re: Product Savings Revisited

Camrose, Alberta
"dpilot83" showed you some math that proves an auto-steer unit will pay for itself in pesticide savings alone. Its just going to take a very long time if you only farm 100 acres.

I agree with what you say about how GPS technology are like toys. I heard a guy say once "GPS technology is as addictive as crack-cocain." Based on that I admit that I am a "drug addict" and isn't the first step admitting you have a problem? LOL.

It sounds like your not taking full advantage of the efficeincy of your precision technology. Think of the product savings you could have if you used auto-steer on you seeder/planter. One autosteer unit that you could move between sprayer, planter, cultivator, combine, etc. could pay for itself in a couple years on a 100 acre farm.

I do not agree with the argument that autosteer won't pay for itself compared to just a lightbar. After having run a custom sprayer for two seasons with a foam marker and then upgrading to a lightbar with mapping for the next two years, I thought it was a great addition. But a lightbar doesn't eliminate human error, if I am using a 90 foot boom with a lightbar at 13 mph, 88 feet is about as good as I can drive, since there is more to watch other than just the lightbar. So after four years I finally got a machine with auto-steer and now I have confidence in running 102 feet on a 103 foot boom. Over 25,000 acres per year that is a difference in overlap of 313 acres. Use whatever average price of pesticides you want, but in my case auto-steer compared to a lightbar pays for itself in one year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)