AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Product Savings Revisited
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 8/3/2008 20:55 (#427747 - in reply to #426569)
Subject: Re: Product Savings Revisited

Texas
Since you are calling us all morons, do you think your example is showing efficiency? You stated that you are overspraying ends and overlaps and underspraying the rest. That is not being efficient.

Assuming that you have a field that is 1680 ft by 2593 feet(numbers work better here) and a 60 foot boom then you are spraying two pints per acre on the overlaps and .9 pints per acre on the area that is underapplied. Now, if I apply that to my farm of 2000 acres of cotton that I spray 3 or 4 times with roundup and 2 to 3 more times with a pgr or other pesticides, significant increases in efficiency(and cost) can be achieved.

Also your example suggested overlaps on ends and in the field of about 9 percent. If I apply 9 percent overlap on my 2000 acres then that would be an extra 180 acres that was double sprayed. With Roundup Powermax, that comes out to an additional 1800 dollars of spray costs. Multiply that times three or four and see where you are.

If I cut my rate by 10 percent as you stated on your under application and get a good kill then that savings on Roundup spraying will be approximately 6000 dollars on 1 roundup spraying across the entire acreage. I let you multiply that by 3? Think that would pay for my GS2 system over a couple of years.

Next, if I underapply my plant growth regulator in the field and overapply on the ends, do you think that might hurt the efficiency of the PGR or actually hurt my cotton on the overlaps?? Well it does.

BTW, just because we use autotrac and gps systems does not mean we do not calibrate our sprayers. Mine is calibrated three to four times per season. I buy new nozzles after about 5000 acres. Probably overkill but I do see some problems when calibrating my sprayer and have seen degradation of spray patterns.

I want to be as efficient as possible. If I have a problem then it is usually a chemistry problem that I can usually get refunded for.

Edited by dbltfarmer 8/3/2008 20:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)