AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

york
Posted 7/30/2008 02:56 (#424656 - in reply to #424331)
Subject: RE: Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?

Berlin, Germany
Fieldwalker,

thanks.
Now concerning your points:
K deficiency:
In the research, I have over 30 MB reports of Glyphosate & interaction, the uptake of K is also a poperty which looks to be effected by Glyphosate, besides Mn.
Fungi:
To illustrate a point. I know of a Mitcherlich plot trial with a certain wheat variety. It's quality wise the best wheat, a old variety out of the early 80's. Still planted because of milling quality. But it has the worth classification for fungi resistance, let's say it has none. Now they did a comparison and applied to one part in high dosages and the other did get nothing. Wonder what, the Mn plant's where healthy as if they had been treated with Fungi.
Let's take into account that Glyphosate might have a effect on Mn uptake?
Slugs:
we have a feeling, look we are farmers & coaches of farmers and not researchers, through our observations that Glyphosate has a effect on slugs. We will try this year on several farms a different approach on weed management and see if our theory can be proven. We lost last year Canola / OSR when it was in the 4th leave and after applieng 30 kg/ha (roghly 30 lbs/acre) of slug pellets.
Lowering the dosages:
I think we have to look at lowering the dosages of Glyphosate like the South American are doing. They are talking of less than 1/4 the normal rates and still it works. Lowering the pH of the water, and water amount per ha, seems to me, are the topics to look at.
OM:
we want to have even higher OM and a wider C:N ratio. Just read Carlos Crovetto on this topic. We try to avoid broadcasting N as much as we can. Always think: the microbes are the first which sit at the table to get the N. Plants are last as roots are not that mobile.
Prof. Albrecht:
Shall I share a secret? The books of Prof. Albrecht are a hard reading. good to look for answers on specific problems, but not to get a idea. For this I recommend the book af Neal Kinsey "Hands on Agronomy" and look at his web page. I will be at the advanced course in Calf. in August.
Lynn:
who is Lynn? Can't find the name used in my post.

Good to hear that you will not back up and join the tillage group. Trash and residue is not a problem if you use technology which is able to cope with this. This technology / drills are around.

York-Th.

p.s. might be of interest to have a look at a other discussion board, a british one, how they discuss this topic. They picked up the topic from you here :-)
http://farmingforum.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1217277177

Fieldwalker, would you mind sending this report you refered to? Just look at the cartoon at www.no-till.de and enter the cartoon. Maybe you like it: :-)

Edited by york 7/30/2008 03:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)