AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lightning Inc.
Posted 7/27/2008 17:23 (#423048 - in reply to #422973)
Subject: RE: Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?

Concordia,Kansas
I don`t know for sure, but I tend to agree with you thoughts. We never used to have all these disease problems. I`ve been 100% no-till since `94 and seem to find more disease problems every year. What used to work as far as herbicides dosn`t work anymore (they don`t make RR milo and wheat). I`ve worn out a sprayer with fungicides and rescues. The insect populations are through the roof. I can back up your findings on the micros with soil and tissue test.

I was the best preacher in the country for no-till. I bought two new 4-wheel drive tractors after wheat harvest, and now we are disking everything. I`m thinking if I don`t kill off my hired man with seat time, we will plow everything too. I`ve been surprised how different the soils have been, we go from the disk will fall in to the spools, to so hard you can barely scratch the surface, and that`s all in the same field. We are finding waterholes that were never there before.

With Round up running $9 to $11 an acre, then you have to add some 24-d to finish the kill. I can work ground for that, I know about the water savings, but all the disease are taking as much from the crop as the water would help.

I will agree that we have seen yield increase over the years we no-tilled, but how much of that is due to better management? We are doing a much better job of fertility than we were 10 years ago. How much has been put into genetics? I wonder what our yields would be if we still did things the way we did back then?
Kent
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)