AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lightning Inc.
Posted 7/29/2008 21:59 (#424479 - in reply to #424427)
Subject: RE: Eco Fallow?

Concordia,Kansas
It was a term they brought out in the early `90s, it just means to leave the wheat stubble stand (chemical control) and plant a row crop in it the next spring. It work well in our area, the stubble ground can get hard as h..l, but catches the snow in the winter ( our snow normally blows around) and the moisture savings will normally get you a good row crop the next year.

Managing the wheat stubble is gonna be our next major concern here. People have a bad tendency to leave it too long (weeds will get huge) and try and kill it with a 22 oz rate with about 4 oz of 24-D thrown in. We are quickly seeing resistant weeds. I credit allot of this to this practice. I believe that you need to control the weeds every time they are 6 inches tall. This may mean you have to spray three times a summer. Then we have Hessian fly problems from the volunteer wheat that is in this stubble. People are busy with harvest here when we plant wheat, normally starting Sept. 20, the last thing they want to do is spray wheat stubble. I can only imagine what it will be like this fall, Round up is costing three times what it did last year, fall crop is worth something, there won`t be a wheat crop next year from all the "junk" people let grow in the stubble.
Kent
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)