AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Lightning Inc.
Posted 7/28/2008 20:42 (#423701 - in reply to #423235)
Subject: RE: Anyone else concerned about Glyphosate?

Concordia,Kansas
I`m in North Central Kansas, right by the Nebraska border. A lot of the fields we have been working this week are in the "core" of our farm, land that was my granddad`s, Dad`s, and now mine. It`s mostly Hastings silt loam, pulls hard but is some of the better dirt in our country. I`ve rode every inch of it my whole life and know it to be ALOT better ground than it`s showing right now. Today I was noticing that it seems to be hard and blocky, you can take a chunk from anywhere in the field (good or bad) and you have to use both hands to break it up.

Last fall I was cussing my drills that I wasn`t getting the stand of wheat I wanted. I`m thinking now that it was more the soil than the drill. The places that I didn`t get a good stand are so hard that we are having to disk them twice, can`t get them to penetrate the first time over. The organic matter is over 4% in these fields. I try to keep the fertility as high as I can afford. The PH is a little low, but not bad for this part of the world.

We got rain today again. There is just a few hundred acres left to disk the first time. We had to get it covered as fast as possible, the weeds are out of control. I think I`ll take off tomorrow and try and find a set of plows so we can start back over it again. I want to turn the rest of the straw under and try and get some tilth back into the soil.
Kent
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)