AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any body out their start farming from scratch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TJD
Posted 9/14/2014 21:26 (#4074809 - in reply to #4074303)
Subject: banker was the help

Michigan

Started in 1998 and my parents didn't farm. My help was an older gentleman that rented me 20 acres of his ground and I hired everything done. The next year he retired and I bought one of his tractors and took on some more land. In 2002 we started doing some custom work and that really helped grow the business.

Until 5 years ago I worked for various AG companies in sales/merchandizing and farmed part time. That's when my job was eliminated and what I refer to as "God kicking me in the butt" to get me where I really wanted to be - self employed. Today we farm, provide custom services, seed and precision ag.

As much as I appreciate the old farmer that helped me get my first acres, my banker was my biggest help. He took chance on this kid just out of college by loaning the money to buy that first tractor. That loan was followed by many more and lots of advice. He took a risk on me more than once based on the relationship we built and his confidence in my abilities.

In college we were told it was important to build a relationship with a lender. The first lender I contacted after graduation worked for farm credit. I told him I was "looking to rent 20 acres and wanted to borrow some money to start building a relationship". He basically told me it wasn't worth this time.

My banker retired a few years ago and I have yet to find a lender to build a "relationship" with. I am thankful we got where we are before he retired.

TJ

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)