AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any body out their start farming from scratch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

easymoney
Posted 9/14/2014 20:03 (#4074541 - in reply to #4074456)
Subject: RE: Any body out their start farming from scratch.

ecmn
I bought all my equipment on our own, we started out by renting 20 acres from dad and doing cheap custom work for other guys to help pay for the equipment. then i got some rental land that a neighbor didnt want anymore at the same time i started renting some land from a developer. the first farm land we bought was a 16 acre piece from one of the developers., then bought land from dad but at a fair market price and pay rent on the rest at local price no freebies. bought land from some contractor as well. I get lots of help from dad and I am grateful I have my folks, dad helps in the field and mom can set a pretty good table during the summer.

dad has a couple pieces of equipment that I use but I pay for it by trading with him.

the only free thing I am getting is the farm yard to park my stuff.

I have an off farm job to cover our family living and health insurance. but there are times that the job is as much of a hindrance as a help. make a couple hundred dollars that day at work but at what cost to delaying planting till the weekend. a rain delay could put it back a couple weekends, then the off farm job is losing money.

I cant make it without the job but I am having a hard time making it with the job. ha!

Edited by easymoney 9/14/2014 20:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)