AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any body out their start farming from scratch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 9/15/2014 11:15 (#4075539 - in reply to #4074303)
Subject: RE: Any body out their start farming from scratch.

Strathcona, mn
I've been self employees for the last 11 years. I've been very fortunate to b able to have my wife at home with our children and not have an outside job. We live a frugal life and try to stay to a strict family budget. After graduating college with a natural resource degree I started a native seeding company in 2003 and operated that till 2008 when I transitioned to full time farming in 2009. I've moved 400 miles from where I grew up to chase an opportunity. I started out doing crp seeding, crp maintenance, some landscaping and snow plowing. That eventually transformed into custom farm work and some crop farming. I started raising crops with a 40 hp tractor, 3 bottom Oliver plow, $300 10' cultivator, 8' grain drill, $300 gleaner f combine and a $500 gravity box. I've been extremely fortunate to hit a profitable time in farming and find some landlords that were willing to take a chance on a 24 year old kid. I turned 35 this year and will be running 3700 acres next year. I run all used equipment that I've accumulated over the years. Some of which has been upgraded 6-8 times in 8 years. I do 90% of repairs myself on the farm. I've always bought bigger equipment thAn I needed when the opportunity presented itself. I've tried to position myself to allow for expansion at any time. Doors of opportunity only open so often and only open one time, be ready to walk through them. I work a lot, more than most people I know. I do not have any family help, the closest relative is 400 miles away. We are active in our community which is now home. We are active in church. Most of all I enjoy my life and love my occupation. I wanted to farm ever since I was a little kid. My whole life I was told it couldn't be done, bs! Most people wont make the sacrifices to allow it to happen. Having grown up through the 80's I am nervous about the near future. I feel I am pretty healed in but these prices are going to hurt. I don't have high equipment payments but can't help to wonder about those that do, my calculator works the same as theirs. Hopefully this down turn is short lived and better times are around the corner. I watched to many family farms fold during the 80's and hope that never hits our industry again. My grandfather famed part time when I was a kid, I owe my love of Ag to him. I wish he was alive today to help on my farm now. The last of my family that farmed full time was my great grandfather who lost the family farm during the depression. My three favorite days of my work year are the day the first dirt is turned in the spring, the first seeds emerging, and the first time the combine hits a field in the summer. God bless all.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)