AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any body out their start farming from scratch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

coochief
Posted 9/14/2014 22:49 (#4074978 - in reply to #4074303)
Subject: RE: Any body out their start farming from scratch.

SE MT
Well I started over 2,1/2 decades ago, and I was the free labor for a good portion of my life. No wages, allowance, etc. Dad instilled great advice and my brothers and I enjoyed haying, cattle, small grains. Luckily I took out a cow note at 15 yrs and built off that. Bought some good irr land for 500 ac, then some more at 750 and so on. My biggest help was learning good business at a young age, and being at the right time in an area surrounded with opportunities. Land rent was cheap here, did custom haying, trucking, leased cows, youth aau wrestling coach helped me a bunch. Dads classmate was my banker financed me both R/E and oper based on faith. Don't know if they can do that nowadays?? My dad encourage us to go find our own deals as he needed his own to make his op work. Sure I did eventually inherit a 40; but that was way later on. Timing, a good banker, good parents, and some try, also good health, decent weather, can make all the differences in the world. I've been uncomfortably in debt before, I hate that feeling. Getting the first few assets paid for is the hardest part. I'm amazed at what rent and land values are outside my area, I'm blessed to start out here, otherwise I I would have been able to get jump started. Goodluck, opportunities are sometimes the furthest from population, but nobody likes being by themselves!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)