AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Freestall parlor cost
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Small-timer
Posted 2/22/2014 17:02 (#3709337 - in reply to #3709324)
Subject: RE: Freestall parlor cost

SW WI
Dave9110 - 2/22/2014 16:52

Never been in a situation where you start from nothing, we always added a little as you go so things tend to not fit together as well. If starting from scratch ....here's a few questions you might ask yourself; are you going to hire help or would robots be a possibility ? For that many cows and expansion in your plans.....manure storage will be a requirement I would think. Finally I don't really see a way to do it cheap .....maybe the most economical would be a better way to put it ! No clue on cost......but a lot !

Dave, manure pit would get put in right away but lots of dairies in the area have gotten a large portion through funding. Robots, the barn WILL get built for robots to be added period. Yes it would be a facility by its self, I have a retro fitted system 100 yards behind me and no thanks, I'll stay in town. Yes economical is the correct term.

We wouldn't hire help right away. My brother would milk and do young stock, breeding calves etc. I would feed plant cut etc. we would hire chopping and manure app. I got a rough quote for those for $45k with 75% of the land being 6 miles away. Reason for that is he will be buying the parlor site and 100 AC from his inlaws at a great price. I have 300 AC 6 miles away. BUT a mile away is a facility that has a calf barn and heifer facility that's empty I could rent so everything would be close. I would keep dry cows here and run a load of feed here a day with the pickup in a feeder wagon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)