AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

variable rate fertilizer is it worth it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

billybob77
Posted 2/17/2008 16:08 (#312143)
Subject: variable rate fertilizer is it worth it?

Southern MB
Been thinking about doing variable rate fertilizer for the past year or so. I think there are slowly more people jumping on the variable rate wagon.

Currently I have a flexi coil tank which is not equipped with variable rate. Not running liquid so can't variable rate that way either. Don't own a controller that would do variable rate for anything in the first place.

I am not really sure if running granular through a different tank with variable rate or putting liquid on the system I have now then variable rateing that would be worth it or not. I know the controller by itself is not cheap either so in the long run I am not really sure I would benefit from what I am doing now.

Currently most of the nitrogen goes on in the fall as NH3 (get someone to do it for me). A number of fields are spread with urea in the spring before I run over the field with the drill and mostly a blend of phosphorus in the tank. Those fields tend to flood every spring so this way I know I won't loose any fertilizer.

Anybody in the same boat as me who made the switch and it was worth it or am I better off to just keep doing what I am doing? Thanks!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)