AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many folks eat Lamb?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 8/7/2013 21:02 (#3254433 - in reply to #3253625)
Subject: Re: How many folks eat Lamb?

I love lamb, one of the tastiest read meat around, but I NEVER buy any: As many mentioned, it's almost always imported from a continent away, there's barely 2 or 3 different cuts of lamb on sale, it is sometimes a bit too old to be lamb, more like gamey mutton, and it's horribly expensive. I used to cook it all the time in Europe, be it chops, roast, Irish stew, spicy merguez sausages or even whole and older mutton, pit-roasted (North African méchoui).

In France, lambs are slaughtered at 3 months old for suckling lamb, and 9 months for normal lamb. There are labels that ensure the best quality and consistency of the meat, with rules for how to raise the lambs, like drinking their mother's natural milk. Lamb raised with formula milk exist, but the meat tastes different. There's even some lambs that are raised on salt meadows in Normandy and Picardy, meadows that are occasionally watered with ocean water during the highest tides, very sought after.

Lamb in the U.S. can be as old as one year if it's not labelled as spring lamb or other specialties, so it has a bit of that suet taste and smell. I had American lamb once and found it a bit tough, so never again. I like mutton too, but not when I am having and expecting lamb.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)