AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf with broken leg, what are the options?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 12/25/2012 00:26 (#2774301)
Subject: Calf with broken leg, what are the options?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

Had a Christmas eve gift tonight, went out to feed cows, and "baby" has a broken back leg.  He is an orphan, half of a set of twins born in late May, his mom didn't want him, and his adopted mom got sick after 3 weeks and rejected him too.  Bottled for a couple months, then on his own.  Still with the cows, must have been stepped on.

We've had the vet cast a few broken legs on younger calves before, but this guy is about 7 Months old, but not very heavy, under 400 lb probably less.  Back leg, below the knee, nothing sticking out.  Not putting any weight on it.  Not going to call the vet on Christmas day, and not sure how to transport him there if I wanted to, and it is very cold out.  Is it possible to splint a calf that big, or does it have to be casted?  I see an old thread here about a bull that healed by himself, how often could that happen?  I've splinted many baby calves who walk knuckled under, with success, split PVC pipe, rags and tape, could that work?  Not sure if he is worth more than the vet bill, but the wife and kids won't see it that way, he is a pet.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)