AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stock trailers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 9/20/2012 23:55 (#2601761 - in reply to #2601566)
Subject: RE: Stock trailers

I have a Calico exactly like that except it's rusted beyond repair. Steel livestock trailers and salt covered roads don't mix. Even if you're willing to pressure wash them in 10 below weather, it's hard to get all the salt out of all the nooks and crannies. Figure that that $5000 investment will be worth almost nothing in 15 years if you use it during the winter. I had plans to cut the top off mine to use it as a bobcat trailer, but it might be too rotten for that even.

Look around for a used all-aluminum pumper pull. You should be able to find one in the $6000 range (they're $8500 new). Also, you can probably find an descent older 20' aluminum gooseneck for cheaper yet.

I bought an old Kiefer gooseneck aluminum/steel trailer that needed a new wood floor for $2500 and thought I got a deal. By the time I replaced all the steel cross members, replaced the sheet metal in front, put the new floor in, brushed the fenders, painted the whole thing, and replaced all 4 brake assemblies, I realized it wasn't such a good deal after all. So take a good hard look at ALL the steel parts on any used trailer you're looking at.

Edited by tjdub 9/21/2012 00:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)