AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kansas State University: trying to work for a farmer in college?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 8/6/2012 12:05 (#2524802 - in reply to #2524167)
Subject: RE: Kansas State University: trying to work for a farmer in college?

SW KS, near Dodge City
My advice: Find something that will benefit you in the future. You already know how to run equipment. Any minimum wage person can do that in a semi-acceptable manner. I would steer as far clear of the production ag environment as possible. You already know it, and will be spending a big chunk of your hours in class learning more about it. Use the job time to pick up other skills. Go find a commodity/stock broker that has an office there and needs somebody to answer the phones. You'll pick up a ton of knowledge just by being around it. Go work for a contractor building houses/apartments. That will be knowledge that you'll get paid to learn. That way when you're 35 and want to tweak things on your house, you already know how. Maybe find the irrigation service company in the area and work for them. I know you've discussed irrigation on here several times, but working for the service company will give you a wealth of troubleshooting knowledge that you wouldn't gain any other way. My opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)