AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sixth grader commits suicide.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Land_Surfer
Posted 4/23/2012 23:55 (#2351232 - in reply to #2351116)
Subject: Re: Sixth grader commits suicide.

20 - 30 years ago when most of us on this site were kids, we either sucked it up and delt with it or retaliated in like kind. Today, some kids feel that taking their own lives is the only way out. What is so different today from school in the early to mid- '80's? If anything, it was more conservative then than it is today. I can only recall one student, over the last 30-years, committing suicide at my alma mater of 500 - 600 students. My opinion is that the sheer lack of corporal punishment within homes and schools followed by positive reinforcement has resulted in a society of cowardly and/or out-of-control children and young adults who run the household. Did I miss the announcement somewhere that a law(s) had been passed prohibiting spankings? There is no inter-family communication today. Family dinners are preferred around the TV or separated with each family memeber branching off on their own. When it comes to homework, most kids are on their own because their parents are wound tighter than 8-day clocks trying to meet tight deadlines of the modern-day lean, mean professional world, where pda phones and ipads come with the expectations of 24-hour access and extended working hours into the home.

Children can not be forgotten at any age. They need reassurances, reinforcement, role models, advice and counsil and parents have an obligation sometimes to drop everything and be there for their children. I don't see this being done nearly as much anymore, due to what I mentioned above. I'll leave a perishable crop in the field for a week to be there for mine. It is a 24/7 job all to often taken for granted. Children aren't animals or natives where survival of the fittest is/was the name of the game. That's what the working world is for. Childhood is for learning and growing.

Edited by Land_Surfer 4/24/2012 00:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)