AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still saying you can buy all your feed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 2/25/2012 11:55 (#2250638 - in reply to #2250157)
Subject: Re: Still saying you can buy all your feed

nw NC
The way I figure it is this : If you grow it for "X" amount/bushel and can sell it for "Y" amount/bushel you have profited by "Z" amount/bushel. If you feed it and say that your corn cost you only "X" amount you had better hope that the profit on the product you are producing ( milk, beef, pork, whatever ) is more than "Z" times the number of bushels you fed, otherwise you lost $$$ feeding it. It would have been better to have sold it.
I have always questioned whether dairies should attempt to grow their grain corn. Their argument is; "I can grow it cheaper." I think they are confusing "cheaper " with "more profitable". When one considers the travel for land to rent ( around here anyways), equipment for growing and harvesting, storage facilities, feed processing equipment, short yields due to drought, time and labor that could probably better be spent on caring for cows better , and the fact that they lose "Z" amount on every bushel fed, I can't believe it is more profitable to grow it. It may be "cheaper" to grow it, but is it more profitable ???? I don't think so. I do not grow mine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)