AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stopping at weighstations w/ a pickup and trailer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Allis4ever
Posted 1/17/2012 21:29 (#2168324 - in reply to #2167631)
Subject: legally in Iowa you must

central iowa
But what you should do and what you do are lots of times different.

Any commercial vehicle must stop at weigh stations, If your combo is over 26001 then it is a commercial vehicle, single vehicles over 10,001 i believe are also. if you don't stop and they decide to go after you I believe it is a $200 plus fine.

If you do not have a cdl, a inspection on pickup and trailer, have a log started, dot number............ and they pull you over you better know what to say (i would say you are helping a family member move, assuming you do not already have the tires loaded) Once the tires are loaded you have commited a act of commerce which will make you just like a over the road trucker and you will be bound by whatever rules they are.

This is only My opinion based on attending a IDOT meeting last year, so I will not state it as fact, only facts as I understand them.

that being said, I truly believe if you got pulled over by 10 different DOT officers you would get written up differently by all 10 of them. The rules are too complex and most of the officers don't really know them all.

Hope this helps some

kirk

For what it is worth, I now have a 15 ton license on my pickup, a dot number, a class A CDL, inspections on my pickup and trailers. Believe it or not i used my pickup and dual tandem trailer to drive for the class A CDL (already had airbrake endorcement) and now am licensed to drive the big rigs even though i have never driven one LOL, what a loop hole that is.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)