AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hardpan. Can anything be done? (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 4/22/2010 02:49 (#1170065 - in reply to #1169932)
Subject: Re: Hardpan. Can anything be done? (pics)

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
I feel pain for that soil. That's about all I have to say about that. BUT a few questions.

Do we know if it is solonetzic? Saline? etc. Because if it is solonetzic it needs ripping perhaps. Solonetzic soils are in a class of their own. If it is saline, nothing spreads it like tillage and summerfallowing which is a basic scientific fact of soil. If there are specific areas that suck, I would get a shovel out and dig, as deep as you can, soil test, dig some more, and soil test some more, so you actually know what the issue is. I get the impression that your'e not sure, you just call it "hardpan issues." You can also contact SAMA, (For FREE), and get soil reports for any quarter of land you desire. On these sheets, which I find about 80% accurate, it goes through the numbers that are used to come up with the taxable assessment. ALL soil issues are covered, and grading factors are discussed. They will tell you what is with that soil likely. So I'm not sure how to comment when it's not really clear.

As an aside.

My in-laws rent out some land near regina, and were told once it was "alkali" (saline.) Farmer who farms it grows crap cuz he rips it up twice a year, deep, and then seeds only cereals very deep to get moisture, and then is surprised his crops suck so bad. He heard them say it was "alkali" (which is a total mis-worded description, but a popular term to those with no clue), so he blames it on the salinity, or as he says, on all that Alkali. The land is assesed above average for the province, and is a clay soil on the edge of the very productive, heavy clay Regina plains

I have said time and again to them that salinity does not run in straight, distinctive, uniform lines east to west, go from saline to non-saline in the span of 10 feet for a full half mile, and that maybe they should look for another renter. The guys on all adjacent land are growing awesome crops with no cultivation. Finally I had enough and asked if I could soil test this land. Results? NON-SALINE. Nutrient value was decent enough. Ph is neutral. Unfortunately he is old school and tills it to a garden-like mulch each year, and is killing his chance at any kind of crop. He gets 20 bushel crops, while ten feet away, on land with a decent rotation, no tillage, and good weed control, they must be getting 60 bushel durum. Just one of the reasons I have issues with tillage.

So my suggestion if your not sure, is to get some samples, and find out what your really dealing with here. IMO there are very few instances where continuing to till so much is an advantage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)