AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hardpan. Can anything be done? (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dirtyfarmer
Posted 4/22/2010 00:49 (#1170013 - in reply to #1170004)
Subject: Re: Hardpan. Can anything be done? (pics)

Primer - 4/22/2010 00:29

Tried that. Only made the spots larger. After a few years of only a hoe drill you couldn't even scratch the surface.

This field was in alfalfa for 3-4 years and taken out a couple years ago. That seems to have helped sort of.

I would like to try ripping that zone or deep plowing it in the future but I need to check the soil horizons.

I have carbide openers that will cut deeper than any mickey mouse cultivator shovels could even dream of. I can cut thru pavement (first hand experience at that ;-) LOL) First things first "QUIT CULTIVATING IT" Rotation rotation rotation. Alfalfa is good.. Barley is somewhat tolerant to salinity , then flax also somewhat tolerant to salinity and a deep tap root. Ripping those arease will help initially but how you continue to farm and crop those areas will continue to make the biggest difference. Find a reputable agrologist to help you with these areas, but i still maintain "stay off with the tillage." We also have areas like this , and 18 yrs of no till later, most have all but disappeared and are quite productive again. No till is the only way in SASK. IMO what do you actually gain with summerfallow??? It is evident that land has "summerfallowedtodeath" syndrome going on .

Edited by Dirtyfarmer 4/22/2010 00:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)