AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turning pasture into row crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HT67
Posted 12/11/2009 17:25 (#961116 - in reply to #960580)
Subject: RE: Turning pasture into row crop

Virginia
I've done it a few times and had pretty good results. A burndown with gramoxone, atrazine, and UAN as the carrier will usually get good results. A follow up 2 weeks or so later may be needed. Glyphosate will also work. You may well need some 2,4-D if you have any perennial broadleafs. Atrazine up to the labeled rate will help take the fescue out.

I would plant RR corn with Poncho 1250 for sure. I run fixed row cleaners but quite honestly they are of little value on perennial sods from my experience. Cast iron or spiked closing wheels seem to do the best job closing the seed trench. The combination I use is fixed shark tooth row cleaners, narrow wavy coulters, seed firmers, and spiked closing wheels. Planting into a wet soil can present problems with closing the seed trench and sidewall compaction.

Get the burndown done ASAP and you'll be OK. One problem I've had in perennial sods has been field mice but close grazing should eliminate them. One other thing I feel is essential is an insecticide with your burndown. I believe we used permethian the last time but I'm not sure.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)