AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are you seeing price wise on feeder cattle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jackrabbit
Posted 9/18/2009 23:51 (#852158 - in reply to #851954)
Subject: RE: What are you seeing price wise on feeder cattle?

East Central SD
I sold some grass cattle Monday at Worthing, SD. I was very happy. One cut of steers weighed 723 @ 108.00. The other weighed 895 @ 94.25. Heifers weighed about 750 @ 97.75. Also had a cut of heifers that only weighed 600 @ .99 (was disappointed with weight and price on these). Had about 15-20 head per cut.
Good 800 pound cattle were still worth a dollar there but I couldn't see they sold that well anywhere else in the state this week. They didn't have many 7 weight cattle so maybe that is why they went crazy for mine. They had a whole bunch of 800-900 heifers.

I am always happy and frustrated when I sell grass calves. Half of these cattle were home raised fall calves and they other half I bought as small bunches fairly cheap (not that great of quality). I've done this for three years and have topped the market each year (the part I'm happy with). The problem is these are only avg quality cattle. When I sell my spring calves (which I think are above avg quality) in Jan. I always do well and am near the top but its been a long time since I can say I topped the market. I take much more pride in my spring calves and would rather have them top the market (the part I'm frustrated with). I just can't believe the way the buyers bid out the profit this time of year just because their lots are empty.

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)