AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Life after dairy farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kipps
Posted 7/8/2022 18:20 (#9740248 - in reply to #9739805)
Subject: RE: Life after dairy farming

Madison Co. Virginia
I'm still milking. I've puzzled myself over what is unique about dairy farming, or farming in general, compared to other lines of work.

One possibility is that you're always working for tangible results that directly benefit yourself; not merely working for a paycheck. For example, when you replace the clutch in your utility tractor, and can finally get that clumsy row-crop tractor off of the feed wagon, you reap the benefits yourself. There's an ongoing sense of euphoria that lasts for a week or so each time you get on that tractor. In contrast, a mechanic at a tractor dealership might replace the same clutch, send it out the door, and all he gets out of the deal is a paycheck. There's less sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, because he doesn't actually get to use the repaired tractor. As other examples -- When you wean that pen of calves, and reap the benefits of the reduced workload over the next week. Or you finish up with a difficult three weeks of rapid-fire calvings, and can relax a little. Or powerwash the parlor, and paint the ceiling; the next milking is a fun experience. Each time, you directly reap the benefits of the work you did.

Consider doing maintenance work at a large plant or business. To a degree, being the primary maintenance supervisor could resemble farming, in that you're working for tangible results that make your life easier going forward.

Edit: Consider the kind of work you would be doing on a large dairy. Would you really enjoy just working with the cows and employees all day? How much of your enjoyment of dairy farming was the whole package deal? The cropping, wrenching, milking, breeding, etc? You won't see the whole range like that if you're hired on to a large dairy operation.

Edited by kipps 7/8/2022 18:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)