AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Life after dairy farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

6wheeler
Posted 7/9/2022 08:33 (#9740925 - in reply to #9739805)
Subject: RE: Life after dairy farming

To Answer your question? It does get better. Sort of. When we sold our cows in 1998? I was already driving a ready mix truck. But I could milk on weekends and occasionally during the week at nights. The hardest part for me was? When the cows got sold? My Uncle called me one day and said he needed some leftover concrete. I brought some to see he was filling in the gutters in his barn. We took all the headers and stanchions out. Filled the gutters with sand and put 2 inches of concrete in them. Just in case one of us wanted to milk again. The barn is now a Restored Minneapolis Moline tractor house. The hayloft is now home to the milking equipment, Moline and several other tractor parts storage. We still put water in the bulk tank and run it a couple times a year to make sure it still works. Do I miss it? Yes I do. I miss the cows. And? Raising the young stock to bring into the herd. Where I live? The land around me is owned by others. The family the owns the 150 south of me runs a very large dairy operation. I went to school with one of the owners. He always tells me. If you need a fix? Come on over. In their operation? They milk a couple hundred cows. Maybe more. I haven't gone up there yet. I don't know. Maybe for me? That may be too much. We Had 50 cows. So? It seemed like I knew them all better (seems weird to say that). Maybe you could find someone that needs some part time or fill in help. That way? You can still have contact with cow/calf dairy herds without having to completely commit. good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)