AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger panther clutch adjustment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mav
Posted 5/15/2022 14:00 (#9661500 - in reply to #9661205)
Subject: RE: Steiger panther clutch adjustment

Yeah, I've got that very same manual, but I must make this point. Over the years, I have gotten tired of following procedures to a T of making so many turns with adjustment rods and setting an intermediate dimension to a specific clearance, only to have it end with a clutch (and TA's on Internationals) not work as intended afterwards. What I eventually figured out, is that you are better off identifying what are the end result needs to be, and make final adjustments of the components that independently control that individual mechanism. If you read through that whole adjustment procedure, you will see I covered almost all of it in basically one sentence. Now, because there will always be numerous amounts of inconsistencies that are unique to every machine, we will always have deviations to published "typical" settings.

I saw this all the time when trying to set the TA linkage on older Internationals. They had a specific clearance that they wanted in one of their slotted linkages. Problem is, that setting did not accomplish its intended task which was effectively pulling the TA back. Pulling the TA back, allows the transmission drive train to unload, which in turn promotes easy shifting.

Lets just do an over-simplification of the Steiger clutch adjustment process. We have two conditions that we are trying to set. Let's call the first A which will be yoke/bearing pad running clearance. The other is B, witch will be effective transmission braking. External linkage adjustment affects both the A & B conditions. Furthermore, an adjustment of the internal ring only affects condition A.

Going with that simplicity, we can see why we have to do B adjustment first and finish with the A adjustment.

Conversely, If we were to do the A adjustment first, it will no doubt get inadvertently changed when doing the B adjustment. Is that making sense?

Mav

Edited by Mav 5/15/2022 15:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)