AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Price discovery if electrical grid fails
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/25/2022 08:22 (#9630865 - in reply to #9630819)
Subject: RE: Price discovery if electrical grid fails

kb ag - 4/25/2022 07:57 I've appreciated your knowledge and interest in this subject. I don't agree 100%, but it is refreshing to have a proponent of the EV not coming at it from a do or die environmental mindset. This is how the whole energy discussion should be....on its merits, not on fearmongering save the world ideas.

Thanks. I like electric for selfish reasons more than altruistic ones. I look at the electric motor that is powering one of our irrigation wells for the last 15 years or so. Prior to that it was powered by a Diesel engine.

I remember as a kid going there twice a day to check it with Dad. Changing oil once a week. Air filters. Coolant systems. Knowing that someday it would blow up and we’d have to spend lots rebuilding it.

On the electric motor that runs it now we just take a four wheeler there once per day (if that) to check the dripper. Grease two bearings on it once a year. Has been running probably 30,000 hours so far and I imagine if we replace the bearings before they go bad it’ll go another 30,000 hours. Saved us a ton on fuel vs electric cost and way less hours of work.

If batteries could ever get to the point where that is my life around farm equipment, I’ll take it. If it helps the environment (it may or may not, everyone has an opinion I guess) that’s just icing on the cake. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)