AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Price discovery if electrical grid fails
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/25/2022 07:33 (#9630763 - in reply to #9630426)
Subject: RE: Price discovery if electrical grid fails

Kooiker - 4/24/2022 21:50

dpilot83 - 4/24/2022 20:45

Like I said, the solution to that depends upon when batteries become energy dense enough and cheap enough.

I haven’t studied wind a ton but my overall perception of it is that it’s not my preferred energy source. I like solar because most single family homes have enough roof space to generate enough electricity to make them truly independent from the grid if it’s tied with adequate battery capacity.

I hope those people put there electric usage where their mouths are and truly disconnect themselves from the grid.   

If the sun doesn't shine for a few days and the battery runs out, too bad.    Better buy a bigger/better array and a bigger battery.    Or GASP, a carbon burning backup generator.

That or the utility company needs to charge them through the nose (both an exorbitantly high facility charge and peak rate per kwh) for acting as a "standby" electric provider.  

We already need backup generators even while we’re on the grid. I see nothing controversial about a solar guy having a backup generator. That’s just prudent.

If a guy had an appropriately designed solar system and a generator tied to a 500 gal propane tank he could likely go for 30 years without grid assistance and without refilling that propane tank.

For me there are higher ROI projects I have in mind first but I’ll be pretty surprised if my kids aren’t doing it when they’re my age because the numbers will look so much better.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)