AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Price discovery if electrical grid fails
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 4/24/2022 19:31 (#9630104 - in reply to #9630080)
Subject: RE: Price discovery if electrical grid fails

kb ag - 4/24/2022 19:17 I can see the balancing part, but the total need of power, I am not sure. The amount of cars on the road is staggering and the powers that be are trying to compress the conversion window. I say it won't be pretty. Need a lot of hybrid vehicles in the mix and don't cripple the fuel supply. I predict pain, but I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Just for perspective, you can charge an EV on an 80 amp outlet in four or five hours. This is if you’re as close to empty as you want to get and you fill to 100%. Most people average 40 miles a day or less on each vehicle. That 4 or 5 hour charge will last them a week.

This is the equivalent of running your dryer all night a couple of times a week. It is not a huge demand.

The other thing to consider is that for best battery life you try not to get into the lower 20% or upper 20% of the battery capacity more than you have to. This means charging every night for a much shorter time period or for a similar period with a much slower charger.

Long range vehicles will be best with ICE for at least a decade or two but I can honestly see a great fit for a tough built EV pickup on my farm right now. I rarely put more than 150 miles on in a day in several farm vehicles. EV means:

1. No radiator
2. No water pump
3. No alternator
4. No starter
5. No emissions system
6. No engine (and none of the thousands of parts associated with it)
7. No transmission (just a simple gearbox)
8. No oil changes
9. No opportunity for engine damage do to an employee making a mistake with an air filter

I guess I’m looking forward to it. I’m signed up for a Ford Lighting but my guess is that when I end up getting moved up in the queue to where I convert it to an order I’ll pass because I’m not convinced the tech is good enough yet and the Lightning looks a little to dolled up to be a farm truck to me but it doesn’t mean I’m not looking forward to all of these obvious advantages.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)