AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

banders
Posted 9/2/2020 18:28 (#8472524 - in reply to #8472441)
Subject: RE: regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...

Who are you writing for? I looked at a website for regenerative ag. Looks like they are looking for a new term for a new defined way to farm. In other words organic, no till, sustainable,etc are going to be replaced. I am 70. I remember when ISU Practical Farmers introduced LISA as a hope for he future of ag. It stood for Low Input Sustainable Agriculture. It took a while for the Low Input to sink in. In other words farmers did not buy much for inputs like tractors, combines, gasoline, fertilizer, etc. So they just started to use the term Sustainable Farming forgetting the part about farmers would not buy much. My dad who is 96 used to say the worst thing that happened to farming was commercial fertilizer and chemicals because it made food cheaper and farmers would not get as much. But he was a realist and one of the first to use commercial fertilizer and chemicals. I see the term comes from California. Might be a good term there to use to make some farmers feel better. Good luck. 30 years ago got a grant from Pioneer Seed Company to build the first electronic 6 row hill drop corn planter. It cut insecticides costs by 2/3 and greatly reduced herbicide costs because you can cultivate both ways. I even built a cultivator that the shovels moved in and out around the hills of corn when you went one way but nobody wanted it.
Actually you can buy that the type of cultivator today. Actually the last time I looked they mentioned a stop at our place on a PFI tour. Again good luck when redefining Ag.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)