AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hours farmers work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BRZFARMS
Posted 7/28/2017 13:41 (#6154079 - in reply to #6154027)
Subject: RE: Hours farmers work

Bon Homme County, South Dakota
I work full time for a state prison with odd shifts.... 6 AM-2 PM and 2 PM- 10 PM...... When I'm not working at the prison it is spent at the farm.... easily work 60 hours a week minimum all year long between both... Also try to spend time with my 3 kids and old lady....Doesn't leave much time for sleep, but I'm young so I just try to grind it out.... Love farming, but have a father who isn't ready to retire yet so I work my town job to make it work.... He is 62 now, and talks about slowing down at 66... It's amazing how much complaining my co-workers do about having to work just 40 hours a week... And at the same time, I see what they have and what I will have.... Its worth putting in the time... Hopefully when dad is ready to retire I can slow down a little and enjoy more family time... Farmers, Business Owners, and everybody else trying to better their lives have a way different way of looking at life then just a 40 hour a week time card puncher.... Many times when I only sleep a couple hours a night for 2 weeks in a row I want to quit farming or quit the prison, but I keep my kids future in mind and how hard my father worked so my future was better....Maybe with all the hours I put in my kids will be able to only work 40 hours a week and be well ahead... Maybe.... You get out of it what you put in... Nobody is forcing anybody to work hard or work long hours... that's a personal decision....But I know how grateful I am that my father busted his so I didn't have to work as hard and give up as much, So I will do the same for my kids...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)