AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any body out their start farming from scratch.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 9/14/2014 21:16 (#4074774 - in reply to #4074303)
Subject: RE: Any body out their start farming from scratch.

SW “Ohia”
In the process as we speak. Only my second year grain farming, but learning as much as possible along the way. Work part time in an Ag tire shop and commute full-time to a local university pursuing an Engineering Tech. degree. Farming fills in the remaining spots.

Local BTO went belly up a few years back, and evidently nobody knew of the little 7-acre swamp patch owned by neighbor of ours. Hard to access, hidden from view, wet year-round, etc. Got a wild hair to do what I had always dreamed of (but was always told was impossible), and asked about the ground. Landowner said I could have it if I kept the other area's bush-hogged. Rented/borrowed/traded firewood labor to use a beautifully restored 1206 hooked to a 10' Great Plains drill. Hired the spraying from a family friend and did combining the same.

The 7-acres payed for this years inputs. Dug up 33 more acres for this year. Found a $300 7-row/18" no-till planter, $400 12' disc, $375 16' harrowgator, $1,300 IH gasser grain truck (with terrifying brakes) and my dream "collector" tractor--a red/cream Ford 6000. Put everything in soybeans again. Hired the spraying and am hiring the combining from the same friends as last year.

Hoping to find a good affordable 45' sprayer this winter so I can do my own thing next year. Everybody harps on used equipment prices being great now, but for a beginner it doesn't matter. There is an IH 1460 combine and a Case 2590 tractor on my local Craigslist right now for $5,750 and $9,000 respectively. Both in great shape and would fit me perfectly. I should buy both, but it is way out of budget until after harvest, and who knows even then. Cash is king.

My family used to raise tobacco, so none of my Dad/Uncle's knowledge really applied to what I was trying to do. Our small selection of equipment was irrelevant as well. Dad is supportive of the venture though, and I am of his, so we trade labor during different times of the year. (E.G. Pulling calves for driving the grain truck.) He even let me borrow his JD 5520 when the 6000 was down for repairs. We converted all our old patches to hay ground for Dad's small hobby cow/calf operation, so I have to find ground elsewhere. Eternally thankful for my Dad's help/advice/time, my full-time-farmer friends, NAT, and OSU's website. I hope to keep growing, and maybe one day I can live the life I dreamed of. It's doubtful, but you always need something to think of the moment you wake up in the morning.

Never let anyone tell you can't accomplish something. They are only justifying their past regrets. I grew up listening to everyone say that starting a grain farming operation was impossible; it could only be done if you are born into it. That was a line of bull, and I encourage everyone to give their dreams a chance. Bite in deep and don't let go. Grandpa always claimed that "one day people will use you as an example; whether it be for success or failure. Take your pick and choose the result."

Edited by Red Paint 9/14/2014 21:37

(6000 on Planter.jpeg)

(Behind House Beans 9-5-14.JPG)

(2014 Discing 2.jpeg)

(Bean Harvest 2013-2.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 6000 on Planter.jpeg (165KB - 176 downloads)
Attachments Behind House Beans 9-5-14.JPG (158KB - 195 downloads)
Attachments 2014 Discing 2.jpeg (163KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments Bean Harvest 2013-2.jpeg (163KB - 170 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)