AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chopping corn head raising bean yields (how)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 1/14/2019 16:46 (#7244978)
Subject: Chopping corn head raising bean yields (how)

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Saw a presentation today about becks PFR showing an increase in bean yields following corn that had been shelled with a chopping head. I don’t see a reason for becks to lie about their research showing a yield gain from a product they don’t sell... the gains were as much as 2 bushels of beans depending on which chopping head or chopping attachment was used.

Can someone please explain to me why residue broken down by anchopping head would provide more yield in the long run (year to year I mean) over a non chopping head? I know the answer is going to be that the residue broken down quicker becomes available nutrients for the plants to use, but if this is true then if the residue from the 2017 crop didn’t help my 2018 crop, wouldn’t it be there to help my 2019 crop? And then the 2018 residue help my 2020 crop in the same manor? And if this is happening is it a flash effect where you are getting 2018 residue from the new chopping head helping the 2019 crop, along with the non chopped 2017 residue to also help the 2019 crop... leading to not as much residue to help the 2020 crop?

It May also very well be a timing of the availability thing? Idk?

Thanks for listening to my blabber.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)