AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad electricity...................and belt conveyors??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 6/21/2006 00:23 (#20912)
Subject: Bad electricity...................and belt conveyors??

NE SD
First of all, how many here have belt conveyors? Particularly, a Batco with the field loader option.....in our case it's a 1545. What kind of drive? If it's electric, how big is the motor? How full do you run the conveyors? Do you run them slug full.......or do you feed it slow?

Now, for the elctrical experts........
Our particular conveyor has a 10 hp 40 amp 230 volt WEG motor on it. It originally came with a 7.5 hp but this spring Batco switched them over to the 10 hp motors, so before we bought ours the dealership installed a 10 hp. We are having a heck of a time with it. We can only load the conveyor up to approximately 3,000 bph......half it's capacity and it's drawing 40 amps. Dad took after "tensioning" the belt the other day, and had no idear what he was doing. I'm guessing it's too tight.........would that take up a lot of power?

At this particular site, there is only one large bin. It has a "Cincinatti" (I think) 9 or 10" U trough power sweep unloading system. We have had a terrible amount of trouble with this thing in the past. Often times the motor overheats.......not even lugging it. We have in the past resorted to putting 20lb bags of ice on top of the motor while we are cleaning out the bin just to keep the motor cool. Last summer it was so bad we never did get the bin empty....we just piled more new crop grain on top of it.

Now that you have background info on the deal, would bad electricity, such as low voltage cause large amperage draws? What are your thoughts on what the problem could be here? Local electrician has been there before when we had trouble and tested things and claimed we had "good" electricity..........I'm thinking not so. The reason I think that the electricity may be bad on that particular site, is because we have 4 "power sweeps" EXACTLY like the one mentioned above at another site and have never had a glitch with them.........even when pushing them to the limit. I love the conveyor other than that.

TIA
Chad H
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)