AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad electricity...................and belt conveyors??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RCMJR
Posted 6/21/2006 06:28 (#20929 - in reply to #20912)
Subject: RE: Bad electricity...................and belt conveyors??

WEG motor: I've worked with these motors. The belt can be to tight and make it draw high amps. I've seen this with the belt from the motor shaft to the driven shaft and with a conveyor belt too. The WEG motors I've used are very different than other electric motors. The clearance between the stator and the windings are much closer than other standard brands. In other words WEG packs more HP in a smaller package. At least the ones I've worked with are like this. example: I use one that's 50 HP in a 25 hp package. Most WEG's are used in some type of special application because you can fit more HP in a smaller space. Being designed like this the motors don't last as long as other brands. Mainly becaise of less clearance inside. example: if there's a little wear in the bearings and the motor starts to heat up' the stator will start to rub the windings. Add to much tension to the belt drive and it speeds this process up. 90% of the Weg's I've seen pulled, this was the problem.

A couple of checks you can do: Remove the belt from the motor. Check the shaft for bearing wear. Next start the motor with no load and check the amp draw. Some of the WEG's I've seen go bad would start drawing higher amps several days before they had to be pulled. When new (example: they may use 7-8 amps with no load after getting up to speed) and just before having to replace the motor it would use 15-20 amps with no load and up to speed.

I don't like WEG motors but have not been able to replace them with another brand. Can't find another in the HP range I need to fit the space in and around the motor mount. I hope yours isn't limited to that factor. If you have to replace it and can fit another brand in, I'd sure use a different brand. The WEG just won't stand up to heat well at all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)