AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanna help shape a young guys life? HELP NEEDED..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JoeR
Posted 9/25/2016 22:43 (#5549291 - in reply to #5549126)
Subject: RE: Wanna help shape a young guys life? HELP NEEDED..

NW Iowa
MO...$120k in college debt for a 4 year degree is nuts. It took me 5 years to get through and have a paper saying I'm an ag engineer with a.minor in agronomy. I left with about $50-60k in debt. I did not work during g college (summers back home yes). No college fund for me, folks very rarely helped to pitch in on any costs. I have to work to pay for that, family, etc. No way farming will cover that. Because of that paper I can cover that and farm on the side. Profits (ha) from farming go back I to the operation to build it up. Believe it or not my cattle are more profitable that farming has been for me. Little by little keep building. Finding ground to rent that won't put you in the poor house around here is dang near impossible. Cattle sales every week...

Keep in mind insurance costs, food, mortgage (or rent) for living. Farming full time takes a lot of $ to keep going...not that it isn't done but from a guy starting from scratch that isn't established...think about that $10k tractor repair bill that pops up out of nowhere...

Tough times come up and you are suddenly looking at breakdown or less for the year...that piece of paper is good to have for a plan B...

I disliked school as well but kept at it. Just something a guy now almost has to do. Also helps open up so.e learning in the ag field too...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)