AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wanna help shape a young guys life? HELP NEEDED..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Justin ArkMo
Posted 9/25/2016 21:53 (#5549197 - in reply to #5549126)
Subject: RE: Wanna help shape a young guys life? HELP NEEDED..

The Delta
I'm 24, have farmed since 19, and planted more than 12k acres of my own crop during those years. I have seen good and bad times of farming. Being in ag is great, but the reality is, there isn't much money in ag. Most that were in college with me are seed retailers or machinery salesman making 40k at best and praying to keep their jobs. Effff that.

Stay in school, get a degree in medicine or finance. I am taking online courses and farming, literally have a tablet mounted in the tractor to do homework, and are working on admission into med school. You will be better off to get a good job, then farm on the side. My dentist farms 600 acres with a 7800, 8225R, a 7720 titan II and absolutely loves it.

That isn't the answer you wanted, I don't mean to be rude with it.

You can spend 300k in land, or 300k in rental homes, and the houses will spank it all day long. I don't have the land fever most share on here.

Dealing with fsa is super easy, you can get a production loan without many assets, that's the purpose of it. They will appreciate you being in school believe it or not.

My local hospital base MD is 300k/yr. It's hard for me to say that a 25k a month paycheck isn't what's best for the future, and farm on a smaller scale, tax reasons right? ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)