AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oooh the horror, a few pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 11/30/2015 20:08 (#4929935 - in reply to #4929770)
Subject: RE: oooh the horror, a few pics

Leesburg, Ohio
Well, Cardinal, I suppose according to your "Mentality", you would consider all of Northwest Ohio to be a "Pothole" that should never be farmed, since it used to be the Great Black Swamp before tile was invented. Same with many areas here and across the corn belt.

I am all for doing what makes sense for conservation and wildlife. But, Consider that without tile making those heavy, poorly-drained soils into highly-productive soils after tile drainage, there would be far less land available to be put into conservation reserve or wetland programs.

We do continuous 100% no-till on SOME of our farms. We do some minimum-tillage on other farms. We even do (Gasp!!!) heavy tillage on occasion where needed. I think there is a place for all the above. And I do not quite see how you or the "GBwhatever" poster above can think that you know anyone else's situation, soils, goals, or needs.

Maybe on YOUR soils at YOUR farm, any attempt at plowing is guaranteed to create a plow pan in any and all conditions. (I highly doubt it, but what do I know about your farm?)
I can assure you that plowing does NOT ALWAYS create a plow pan.

I enjoy reading about what works on everyone's farms. Not so much when someone tries to dictate from afar what all of us "should" be doing, or tries to patronize/talk down to us for doing what we think best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)