AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too many Christmas gifts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

gmoney
Posted 12/10/2014 11:12 (#4231318 - in reply to #4229001)
Subject: RE: Too many Christmas gifts

SC Wisconsin
I was so close to posting a very similar thread, but held back. I used to love Christmas. Now, it's just so full of expectations that I've lost the spirit and December 26th can't come fast enough. Between gifts, travel. cooking, hosting gatherings, etc. I just get burnt out. It would be better if people would reciprocate, but it's usually not a two way street. Its gotten a long way from the real spirit of Christmas.

Back on the gift topic - we annually struggle with my in-laws who spend between $300 and $500 total per each child on gifts. They've gone so far to state that Christmas is "their time" and they can do what they want gift wise. For the last two years, they've picked really expensive ($200+ for a single item) gifts and we've told them in advance we'd prefer not to have our kids get them because they were inappropriate for their age (3 and 6 years old). My inlaws refused. I just learned about the latest wild and expensive gift this week, and am still crabby about it. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it that won't tick them (and by association my wife) off royally.

I grew up in a world where we got 2-3 presents and treasured them all year long. I can still remember what many of them are 30 years later. If they broke, we got in trouble and dad would try and fix them. Todays world seems to be focused on how much made in China junk you can shower people with. Half is broken by the end of the day, but that's OK. It just adds to my "get this season over" grinchyness. Sorry for the rant.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)