AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

From labor post below-my friend let his hired man go
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

zfisher70
Posted 11/27/2014 19:28 (#4205654 - in reply to #4204947)
Subject: RE: From labor post below-my friend let his hired man go

VA
I work full time for a larger dairy and beef farm in my area I feel like I am putting a lot in and getting almost nothing in return. I am not scared of working hard I just got out of the Marines for 6 years and got out to spend more time with my family but it feels like i had more time when i was in even with 4 deployments. I am trying to start farming for myself and have experience my dad ran 200 brood cows until he died about 6 months ago. I was supposed to go to work for him but that didnt happen obviously as he passed away 6 days before my contract expired and my stepmom sold everything to a cattle jockey out from underneath me. Anyways I do anything my bosses ask me I feed all the calves twice a day, mow a lot of the hay and alfalfa, rake it all, drive a silage truck for 2 months straight, doctor calves, work cows, breed cows, spread manure, shovel s***, bed all the calves and I do all this for 10 bucks an hour. They have 5 other full time guys and we all work 12 days in a row with 2 days off. During hay and corn we work 10 to 12 to 14 hours everyday for 12 straight we are slowing down now to mostly 9 and 10 hour days but it still doesnt leave much time for me to tend to my own cattle. I dont mind the work its the fact that I dont feel appreciated and by everything the guy who has been with them 10 years says getting a 10 cent raise is like pulling teeth. I have no benefits which is fine I just make straight 10 bucks an hour with nothing else at all it leaves a guy feeling a little bitter but i refuse to go to a factory job and hating my life everyday but I have 3 small kids i never get to see and I have no money to speak of. Its hard to keep the wife happy when you work 170 hours in 15 days and bring home 1200 bucks sorry I know its long just my story do you think i have a right to be bitter
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)