AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 11/27/2014 10:54 (#4204822 - in reply to #4204581)
Subject: RE: Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?

Saronville NE
I think where the confusion comes in, is you see 8-8 an cry bloody murder. Ok so you run 8-8 for 10-12 days, it rains so then you both are ready for a break, so what about the days you take em ta a farm sale for the day, large cattle sale, JD day, seed dealer plot meetings, lots of screw off time too. Or how bout the times ive let em use my pu an trailer ta haul their cows ta pasture an I make sure they bill fuel etc ta me or they haul hay an use our truck an trailer an i pay for all fuel,.or the hay you give em for their cows or sell too em under market value an then let em pay for it over long period of time slowly outa paycheck. How bout you keep fridge stocked with their favorite drinks, snacks etc. Or the list goes on an on, they need a day off for personal stuff in middle of busy season yup, no problem. Got family thing ta do need weekend or couple days off yup no problem. Think thats the whole thing, I truly appreciate good help an make sure they know it an show it on regular basis. Do I expect them ta work, an put in some long hours sometimes, hell yes I do, but they also get alot of other things that never get thought bout.

I worked as a hired man for 9 yrs FT, an did my stuff on side, then expanded an worked pt hired man for another5 before staying home FT. I know what its like ta work for somebody, also know that all the guys I worked for expected work an long hrs, thats a given in farming, farming isn't a 8-5 job. But lots of screwing short days in other times make up for it IMO.

Alot of difference between being a number for somebody an being appreciated making same money.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)