AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 11/26/2014 08:33 (#4202273 - in reply to #4202165)
Subject: RE: Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?

Ridgway, IL
I believe you should strip out a bunch of the perks, and pay the man what he's worth. Let him make decisions with his own money about his vehicle, fuel etc. housing etc.

I feel like all the extras that farmers have historically provided make for feelings of inequality.

Maybe that applies more towards a large family operation... But I think the same for outside family hired men.

Things like, who has the nicer truck, home, who gets more gas, who's putting in more hours, who is more skilled, etc etc .

I think a salary for farm work is a bad idea, unless you have some ownership of the enterprise. The pay needs to be tied to the amount of effort put in.

Last year, I had 2 steers killed and split it amongst our family and guys. This year, that would total around 6k dollars after processing etc. I love my family and the farms employees.... But 6k dollars is a chunk of money for me at this point. I'm trying to expand, and really struggling with how to treat people good. I really believe that treating people well is a great investment, and just the right thing to do. But my belly churns a little bit when I think about that bill....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)