AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

putt putt
Posted 11/27/2014 09:23 (#4204581 - in reply to #4204062)
Subject: RE: Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?

NW Iowa
beanplanter - 11/27/2014 00:47

40k for those hours might be enough for a single guy who's out to make a buck doing something he likes.  If you throw in a truck, some gas, and a little beef you might even keep him around for quite a few years.  However, 40k won't be enough when his girlfriend or wife decides your farm isn't worth him not being home in the evenings and it damn sure won't be enough when he misses his kid's ball game for "your farm".  He'll price out the child support and/or alimony payments and just go get a job in town making the same hourly wage with benefits in an air conditioned chair for 40 hours a week without having to worry about his wife sneaking off to screw the neighbor while he's rolling up your hay at midnight before the storm gets there.

People, farmers in particular, greatly underestimate the value of getting home at 5:30, opening a beer, and forgetting about the rest of the world until you have to get back at it at 8 the next morning.  At the end of the day, you're buying someone's life and we only have one to live, so if you want to work someone like he owns the place, give him the light at the end of the tunnel or pay the man for his time.

You can't really compare your wages to his because at the end of the journey you're going to retire to a piece of dirt you can sell, or rent out, and he's going to retire to whatever he managed to shove in his back pocket after the bills are paid.  It might not make a lot of sense, but it's not uncommon for fast food franchise owners, restaurant owners, and small retail store owners to make less per location per year than the person they're paying to manage said location.

Wish there was a like button.

I work at the Local Coop four miles from my house. How about asking to start early one morning so you can quit at noon for 3 hours then come back to work for the rest of the day so you can watch your little brother and your cousin get their High School Diplomas, just to have your boss say,"you know its going to rain all week." You soon realize that after a decade of working there, only being late for good reason (on local ambulance), stopping by on sunday afternoons to plug in the spreader so it will start monday morning to go spread, that your have become just an employee number to them and don't matter to them anymore. There are just somethings a person never forgets.

I will honestly say that if I had a vehicle payment and had to buy health insurance, there is no way I could survive, (and I make more then $10 dollars an hour). Buy the time you pay the mortgage, phone, electric, property insurance, you don't have enough left over to put something in saving. Oh I forgot groceries. Being single I have to do my own grocery shopping, if you yourself haven't been grocery shopping in awhile go once. If you haven't been in awhile you'll be amazed at just what the simple things cost. Guess I need to stop going off, its not my post but I just though beanplanter hit the nail right on the head. Your never going to keep anyone around thats not going to cost you more then they are worth unless you a person something. Sorry in a stepped on anyones toes or offended anyone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)