AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

reddog2002
Posted 11/27/2014 09:36 (#4204616 - in reply to #4203211)
Subject: RE: Hired man post from below. Pay and benefits?

Kennewick WA
ahay68979 - 11/26/2014

HS/college kid we have now, very rarely goes home before 830 at nite and several times raking hay till 3AM. That's why I say as soon as it rains, they get screw off days or days off. I figured up if worked the hrs I mentioned earlier for 5.5 months, 2 months of couple hrs less and 4.5 months of 8 hr days what he wants salary wise not counting extras is $12.80 an hr, with extras goes up fast. Personally I think that's decent money. What he wants is more then we figure I take out of the farm. Every area different but I know from personal experience and from very close friends that are hired men, that another $10k a yr on top of what he wants they own you or at least in this area they do, for $50k a yr in this area, you will be 10-16 hr days yr round, and will be working sunday too boot. Quess Im wrong thinking $40k is dang good money.

I won't say what I make but it is over 50k. If the year was good there has been big bonuses. I use to live on the farm but bought a house now I get gas allowance. We have medical that covers the employees and spouse. If you have kids you pay for them. Plus there is a retirement. Every body makes diffrent amounts. The work hours, March to end of October 7 - 5, 5 1/2 days week. I'm a water boy so those hours don't mean much. I stay until things are good. We rotate weekends when water is on. October till march 8-4, 5 days week. 3 days or week off at thanksgiving depends how things are going. 5 weeks off at Christmas time. All payed. Who ever is involved in planting or harvest will work longer hours. They don't like to work more then 12 hours a day. They don't want anybody getting tired make a mistake and someone getting hurt.
No livestock or hay other wise things would be diffrent.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)